Thursday, June 9, 2011

Officially In Cloth Diapers!!

Well, if you had told me any time in my past that I would cloth diaper my children, I'm sure I would have said you were insane! But alas, it is what works for Sassy! We are so thankful to have a couple of friends who have CDed and have been a huge help in helping us decide what is best for Sassy. One of our friends who is still part time CDing her girls has allowed us a HUGE lot of inserts and prefolds. Here is what we bought and what we have from our friends:

4 GroVia One Size Hybrid Shells (all with snaps) in Cosmos, Vanilla, Blackberry, and Owls
4 GroVia Organic Cotton Soakers
GroVia Biosoakers (50 Count) These are disposable inserts for the GroVia Shells
2 Rump*a*rooz Pocket One Size (with snaps) in Lux and Eco Owl (We use these overnight)
1 FuzziBunz Pail Liner with Handles
11 Bum Genius Inserts and Doublers (from friends)
12 Newborn Prefolds (from friends)
11 Infant Prefolds (from friends)
4 Overnight Extra Inserts (from friends
1 Roll of GroVia BioLiners (not pictured) They are basically like dryer sheets that lay on top of the insert to allow wetness to go through, but catches the BM so you can simply lift the liner and flush (no touching poop)!
1 Snappi Fastener



I'm sure everyone is wondering how much we spent on all of this (I know I was curious how much people spent when I started this whole thing). We paid $194.92 including the $35 to do the Experiment to Own, so for the supplies alone, we paid $159.92. I know that's a lot up front (it could have been more, trust me!), but let's look at it as a comparison to disposables. We were going through a box of 222 diapers every 3-4 weeks. I was able to buy them relatively inexpensively on Amazon for $35.42 shipped. So basically, I need to use the cloth diapers for about 5 months for us to equal out, then I'm not paying anything for diapers! So if we use them until Sassy is 9 months, it will have paid for itself. I'm good with that...especially knowing that we'll use them longer!

So all of this should last us for quite a while! I'm sure I'll buy a couple more Shells....they are just too cute! And y'all know me, things just have to match! We decided to go with all snaps because the Aplix (velcro) has a tendency to wear out and honestly, I never remembered to turn them down in the wash and they just all stuck to each other!
We are very excited to be starting this journey in the cloth diapering world! Well, I say WE....Micah is a bit reluctant, but totally willing to do what is best for Sassy.
On top of this huge change, Big Boy has decided he wants to potty train! I'm loving that! Less diapers to change....more laundry to do! :-)
I will keep y'all updated on how it is going!

0 comments: