Saturday, June 11, 2011

Cloth diaper additions....already!

So I've already seen some challenges and I've had to purchase a few more diapers. The first thing I already knew I was going to have to purchase was a swim diaper. We're going to the beach and she's going to need something to swim in! She actually already has two swim suits that have the swim diaper that is built in that we'll use if she goes into the swimming pool. Otherwise, I needed something for her to wear on the beach. The GroVia shells have a mesh lining and I just don't want all of the sand getting into those little nooks and crannies! So, I had borrowed a Thirsties diaper cover from a friend, but it was just a little bit too small, so I got on amazon and ordered the next size up for her. We got the Raspberry (she didn't have any pink covers!!!) in a size small (12-18 pounds) and we're just waiting on that to arrive.

Then today, little girl decided to make a mess (you know what I mean) on 3 diaper covers and I only had one left! This made me realize that I should probably have more than 4 covers for the day and it would be nice if they were the type that I can just wipe down, let it dry, then put it back on her. The Thirsties above is like that, so I thought I would get something similar just to have another is my arsenal of diapers. So, I opted for the Thirsties Duo Wrap Snap in Mango (my brother and sister-in-law will be happy that I have a Tennessee colored cover for her!). Again, I ordered it from amazon and it will be here on Tuesday.

Then, I had some stuff to return to Babies R Us that added up to $33. Since we were there, I thought I would see what cloth diapering stuff they had in stock, knowing that it wouldn't be much. The only cloth diapers that are in stock in our BRU is the gDiapers. I like them, they aren't my favorite (they sometimes leave little snap marks on her skin...mostly just like if we were laying down in jeans and they left marks on your legs), but I looked to see what they had. They had a pack of two for $26.99, so I decided to go ahead and get them because, again, I can simply wipe them out and put a new insert in them. I got Goddess Pink and Good Morning Sunshine in a Medium (13-28 pounds).

So, I now have (or will have in the next few days) 8 covers, 2 pockets with inserts (for overnight), lots of BumGenius inserts and prefolds for use. I should only have to do laundry every 2-3 days...theoretically. :-)
Also, while we were out today, I tried out the GroVia Biosoaker. It was great! I didn't want Sassy's skin touching the disposable (she's still healing from a little diaper rash), so I put a BumGenius doubler on top of it. It had great absorbency without being super bulky! That's probably how we will travel with her down to the beach so that we have a little bit less laundry.
Whew, that was a lot...but I promised to keep y'all updated, so I am!!! I'll post some pictures soon with Sassy and her cute little fluffy bottom!

2 comments:

Jamie said...

What are your favorites? I'm very interested in cloth diapering when we start our family.

The Grabers said...

Right now, I love the GroVia, but honestly, some poop is escaping the inserts and getting on the shells! Really, all of the ones we have are my favorites- I wouldn't return any of them. I'll keep posting about them as I increase our stash and as Sassy gets bigger and is moving around in them!