Thursday, September 22, 2011

Going Old School

So I'm loving trying all kinds of different cloth diapers! I've recently discovered a love for the old fashioned prefolds with Thirsties covers and GroVia shells. I ordered these medium (red edge) prefolds from Green Mountain Diapers (GMD). They offer sized prefolds which are really important to getting a good fit. The red edge fit from about 14 pounds, which is generally around 5 months. Sassy is only 14.5 pounds and almost 8 months old, so I thought this would be the best fit. The small yellow edge prefolds go up to about 16 pounds and they say to size up if you are close to the end of a weight range. These are still a bit big on her, but I've found a way to help that! Prefolds are basically a large piece of cotton with three different sections of material. the two outers have the same amount of layers and the middle has extra layers. These prefolds are 4-8-4 layers. Because it's just a large piece of thick fabric, they weren't fitting Sassy very well. I needed them to be slightly more fitted around her legs. I found a simple solution to this while searching the internet. I added thin pieces of elastic on either side of the middle section to that they pull a little bit.
Prefold before (I love how quilted and soft they get!)


Prefold after, with the elastic


Comparison of them without and with the elastic



With the elastic on Sassy. See how nice and tucked under it is?




Fastened with a pink Snappi! Ready for her Thirsties Hoot cover!



I'm still using all of my other types of diapers too, but there is something about the simplicity of prefolds and covers that is just comfortin

0 comments: